What Are You Going To Do About It?
By Joe Ulm
I believe there are few more helpful lessons we can teach our kids than “What are you going to do about it?” Here’s why:
- It establishes a framework of empowerment; that there is almost always something we can do individually to address a situation
- It teaches that action is the answer (or part of the answer) to most of our problems
- It teaches creativity of thought. Difficult situations often require new and creative solutions
- It helps us learn from our past actions, and how we can take different actions to help avoid the same situation in the future
- It teaches personal responsibility and accountability
- It creates a way of thinking that is applicable to solving most problems, regardless of age or circumstance
Research has shown that if we want our kids to grow up to be successful adults, two of the best things we can do for them is give them a stable home and lots of love. But I think there’s a strong case to be made that both stability and love are even more valuable when we do so within a framework of self-empowerment.
Stay United, everyone.